- Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science
- Job Title
- Subject Leader for Information Technology
- (01443) 4 83607
- Location (campus)
- Treforest Campus
BSc (Hons) Computing
Certificate in Training and Development
Main Teaching subjects and course leadership
• MSc Computer Forensics
• BSc (Hons) Computer Forensics
• HND Computing
• HND Computer Forensics & Security
• Subject Leader for Information Technology
• Award Leader for BSc (Hons) Computer Forensics
• 1999- Senior Lecturer, University of Glamorgan
• 1995-1999 Lecturer, Pembrokeshire College
• 1991-1992 Part-Time Lecturer, University of Glamorgan
• 1989-1991 Training Manager, Target Computer Group
• 1987-1989 Principal Lecturer, WIS Education
• 1986-1987 Senior Systems Analyst, WIS Computer Systems
• 1985-1986 Programmer, CAP GEMINI UK
- Thomas P and Owen P, An Analysis of Digital Forensic Examinations: Mobile Devices versus Hard Disk Drives utilizing ACPO & NIST Guidelines, Journal of Digital Investigation, 2011
- Thomas P, Tryfonas T and Sutherland I, An Analysis of the Curriculum Components of Undergraduate Computer Forensic Courses in UK, Journal of Higher Education Academy ITALICS, Vol 8, Issue 1, Feb 2009.
- Thomas, N., McPhee D. and Thomas P., Using Mobile Technology to Develop a Blended Learning Environments. Current Advances in Computing, Engineering and Information Edited by Panagiotis Petratos & Pamaswami Dandapani. ISBN: 978-960-6672-34-7, ATINER, 2008
- Olga Angelopoulou, Paula Thomas, Konstantinos Xynos and Theodore Tryfonas, On-line ID Theft Techniques, Investigation and Response, International Journal of Electronic Security and Digital Forensics , Vol 1, No 1, 2007
- Jones A, Valli C, Sutherland I, and Thomas P, the Analysis of Information Remaining on Disks Offered for Sale on the Second Hand Market, Journal of Digital forensics, Security and Law, Vol 1(3) , Sept 2006
- Sutherland I, Thomas P, A Classification System for Adult Pornographic Material downloaded from the Internet, Journal for Information Assurance Professionals Information Security Bulletin, July 2006
- D.McPhee, P Thomas, N Thomas and J. M. Ware, Evaluating the Effectiveness of m-learning in the Teaching of Multi-media to First Year University Students, International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, Vol 1, June 2006
- Paula Thomas and Theodore Tryfonas, An Interpretive field Study of Competitive Intelligence in Software Development, Journal of Competitive Intelligence and Management, Vol 3, No 3, Winter 2005
- Theodore Tryfonas, Paula Thomas and Paul Owen, ID Theft: Fraudsters’ techniques for Personal Data Collection, the Related digital Evidence and Investigation Issues, Information Systems Control Journal, Vol 1, JONLINE.
- Nikolaos Avourdiadis, Andrew Blyth, Paula Thomas, SoapSy – Unifying Security Data from Various Heterogeneous Distributed Systems into a Single Database Architecture, Journal of Information Systems Security, Vol 2 2005
- Thomas P, An Analysis of the Effect of Security Measures on Wireless Network Performance, Journal for Information Assurance Professionals, Information Security Bulletin, May 2005
- Blyth AJC and Thomas P, Performing Real-Time Threat Assessment of Security Incidents Using Data Fusion of IDS Logs, Journal of Computer Security, Accepted for Publication in 2005
- Blyth AJC and Thomas P, An XML-Based Architecture for Data Integration in Vulnerability Assessments, Journal of Information Management and Computer Security, Vol 13, No 4, 2005.
- Vidalis S, Jones A, Blyth A, Thomas P, Assessing Cyber Threats in the Information Environment, Journal of Network Security, 2004 Vol 11, p10-11, 2004.
- Thomas P , The E-Fraud Haystack, Forensic Science Society Conference, University of Glamorgan, Dec 2012
- Thomas P, The Impact of Cloud Computing on Current UK Incident Response Methodologies, 8th Annual Teaching Computer Forensic Workshop, Sunderland UK, Nov 2012.
- Owen P, Thomas P & McPhee D, An Analysis of the Digital Forensic Examination of Mobile Phones, 4th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST 2010), Amman, Jordan, July 2010.
- Owen P and Thomas P, Analysis of the Methodology used in Digital Forensic examination – Mobile Devices Vs Computer Hard Disk, 3rd International Conference on Cybercrime Forensics Education & Training, Canterbury, UK, Sept 2009.
- Tryfonas T and Thomas P, Integrating Competitor Intelligence Capability within the Software Development Lifecycle, NATO Scientific Conference on Security & Protection of Information, May 2009, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Thomas P and Morris A, An Investigation into the Development of an Anti-Forensic Tool to Obscure USB Flash Drive Device Information on a Windows XP Platform, 3nd International Annual Workshop on Digital Forensics & Incident Analysis, October 2008, Malaga, Spain.
- Thomas P and Petersen C, An Investigation into the Vulnerabilities of Computer Forensic Processes as shown through an Anti Forensics Tool, 2nd International Conference on Cybercrime Forensics Education & Training, Canterbury, UK, Sept 2008.
- Awajan A, Al-Begain K and Thomas P, Quality of Service Routing for Real Time Applications using the Analytical Hierarchy Process, 10th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation, Cambridge, UK, April 2008.
- Thomas P, McPhee D and Thomas N, Developing browser based m-learning to enhance student learning experience, Second International Conference on Internet Technologies and Applications, Wrexham UK, Sept 2007.
- Thomas N, McPhee D and Thomas P, Using mobile Technology to Develop Blended Learning Environments, 3rd International Conference on Computer Science & Information Systems, Athens, July 2007.
- Tryfonas T, Owen P, and Thomas P, Malicious software and system damages: Is there a case for liability of software vendors?, 6th European conference on Information Warfare and Security, Shrivenham, UK, June 2007.
- Thomas P, Tryfonas T, Second Hand Hard Drive Disposal & identity fraud: A Forensic Analysis for identifying the Level of Exposure, 22nd International Information Security Conference, Sandton, South Africa, May 2007.
- Tryfonas T, Thomas P, Intelligence on Competitors and the Ethics of business Information Operations, 5th European conference on Information Warfare and Security, Helsinki, Finland June 2006.
- Duncan McPhee, Paula Thomas and Nathan Thomas, An Investigation into the Effectiveness of m-learning for Teaching of Multimedia to first year University Students, First International Conference on Interactive Mobile and Computer Aided Learning, Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan, April 2006.
- Olga Angelopoulou, Paula Thomas, Konstantinos Xynos and Theodore Tryfonas, On-line ID Theft Techniques, Investigation and Response, 2nd International Conference on Global E-Security, University of East London, UK, April 2006.
- Tryfonas T., Mee V,, Sutherland I,, Thomas P., Distribution of Offensive Material over Computer Networks: A Research Agenda, 4th European Conference on Information Warfare, University of Glamorgan, UK, July 2005.
- Thomas P and Al-Begain K., Measurements Based Studies of the Impact of Security Measures on the IEEE802.11 Networks, 8th International Conference on Computer Modelling & Simulation, Oxford, UK. April 2005.
- Thomas P, Al-Begain K and Hughes J., The Impact of Security Measures on the Performance of IEEE802.11 Networks, 3rd International Workshop in Wireless Security Technologies, Westminster University, London. April 2005.
Chair – Wales Fraud Forum
Course and Conferences Attended
- 3rd Cyber Security Summit, Prague, April 2013
- Forensic Science Society Conference, University of Glamorgan, Dec 2012
- 8th HEA Workshop on Teaching of Computer Forensics, University of Sunderland, Nov 2012
- 3rd Annual Conference of Welsh Fraud Forum, National museum of Wales, Cardiff, June 2012
- 2nd Annual Conference of Welsh Fraud Forum, Wales Audit Office, Cardiff, June 2011.
- HEA Workshop on Mobile Device Forensics, University of Glamorgan, April 2011.
- Security Research Seminar, Centre for Legal Research Unit, University of West England, March 2011.
- 4th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST 2010), Amman, Jordan, July 2010.
- 1st Conference of Welsh Fraud Forum, University of Glamorgan, April 2010.
- 5th Conference on Teaching of Computer Forensics, University of Northumbria, Nov, 2009
- 4th Conference on Teaching of Computer Forensics, University of Northumbria, Nov, 2008
- 3rd International Annual Workshop on Digital Forensics & Incident Analysis, October 2008, Malaga, Spain
- Next Generation Mobile Application Technologies Conference, Cardiff, University of Glamorgan, Sept 2008
- 2nd International Conference on Cybercrime Forensics Education & Training, Canterbury Christ Church University, UK, Sept 2008.
- 3rd Conference on Teaching of Computer Forensics, University of Northumbria, Nov, 2007
- Next Generation Mobile Application Technologies Conference, Cardiff, University of Glamorgan, Sept 2007
- AccessData Forensic Toolkit Bootcamp Course, London, Jan 2007
- 2nd Conference on Teaching of Computer Forensics, University of Northumbria, Nov, 2006
- 1st Conference on Teaching of Computer Forensics, University of Northumbria, Nov, 2005
- European Conference in Information Warfare, University of Glamorgan, July 2005
3rd International Workshop on Wireless Internet Technologies, Westminster University, April 2005
- Network Security Course, Learning Tree, London, Dec 2004
- Law, Crime and Internet Conference, Warwick University, March 2004
- Mobile Developer Conference 2003, Paris, March 2003
- Effective Teaching & Learning in Project Management, September 2000
- Design & Production of Open & Distance Learning Materials, Milton Keynes, February 2000
I undertake research in the area of computer forensics and security. My particular area of interest is the security of mobile devices and the forensic value of the data they may contain
If you are a journalist on deadline and you need to speak with a member of university staff with a particular expertise please contact the Press Office on +44 (0)1443 483 362.